Matthew Davis Photography

Matthew Davis Photography

Monday 7 March 2016

Twilight exterior composite

This is a behind-the-scenes video that shows the many different shots (as layers/masks in Photoshop) that I used to create this Twilight image of a rear garden in Chelsea. To make this final image I set the camera on the tripod and attached a remote control to my handheld flash. This meant I could simply move around the garden pointing the flash at each element I wanted to light - shrubbery, chairs, table, benches etc. The best twilight images are actually created at twilight, not before and not after. There is usually only a small window of opportunity to get the best ambient light and the best sky, assuming the weather is kind. All the photos I took with the flash in various places in this scene were taken after twilight, when it quickly gets dark. The reason I added the flash pops to the existing landscape lighting was simply for dramatic effect, and to complete my vision of how I wanted the garden to look in my final image


Twilight Light Painting from Matt Davis on Vimeo.

1 comment:

  1. Great job man! Very interesting stuff! I hope you will continue posting

    ReplyDelete